HOW I CLEAN MY BRUSHES QUICK AND EASY.

Friday 13 November 2015


First of all, let me apologize for a few things...
  • My nails. Yes, they are disgusting. I have been picking them all day but worry no more, I'm getting them done later on today.
  • The lighting. The light in my bathroom is rubbish so I had to take photos with flash and they don't look very stylish unfortunately.
  • The water I've wasted while taking this pictures. I always turn the tap off when I don't need the water while cleaning my brushes, but it really is difficult to combine cleaning your brushes, the camera and the water all at the same time.
Ok, now that that's out of the way, let me tell you a thing or two about cleaning make up brushes. I gotta say, this is something I hate with passion. I am the laziest person when it comes to clean them up, I know I should do it at least once or twice a month but I must admit I should be lucky if I do them once every couple of months! I do 'wash' them with a brush disinfectant every time I use them, but it's a very quick process and to be honest I doubt it cleans them much.

With that been said, when I know it's been way too long and I can't put it off for any longer, here's what I do.


Take any soft shampoo ( I just use baby shampoo from the £ shop ) and put a tiny bit into a bowl or a plate. As you can see, I use the lid of my hair conditioner.
Dab the brush slightly in the shampoo and put your hand under the warm-ish water. Then rub the brush on the palm of your hand. Run it through the fingers as well and repeat the process a couple of times until it turns completely white.



Once it's white it means there isn't any foundation left in the brush so I move onto the BrushEgg. Some people skip the hand process and do it straight onto their make up cleaner glove, I just like to do it that way first as you can feel the hairs of the brush go softer as it gets cleaner and cleaner. Also, if you don't have one of this, you don't have to use it. They get clean enough using only the hand anyway.
Repeat the same process with the BrushEgg.
Remember to always keep your brushes upside down as you don't want the water to go inside and dissolve the glue that is keeping all the hairs together.


Once you think your brush is all clean, squish it with your fingers and you'll see if there's any foundation/colour left. If there's still coming out of the brush it obviously means that it's still not clean 100% and that you need to do it all again! If nothing but water comes out of the brush, you're good to go. 
Leave them dry for a good few hours always making sure they're not completely flat or it can misshape them.



To be honest, it's quite a simple process and I really don't know why I hate it so much. I guess I am just super lazy and I just wish I could have new brushes every time I do my make up.

How do you clean your brushes? Do you have any more tips?



1 comment :

  1. Every week I tell myself 'oh I must remember to clean my brushes on Sunday'.... then most Sundays I end up not bothering - you're right it's so simple but seems like so much effort! Ooops!

    Jodie @ Jodetopia x

    ReplyDelete